The event will take place on Saturday, April 2 from 11 a.m. until 3 p.m. at the Zoo’s gorilla exhibit.
Spend the afternoon learning all about the gorillas! The APE-ril event will feature keeper talks, feedings, a birthday celebration for Sydney, and the announcement of the winning name for her new baby boy!
Earlier this year, the Zoo announced that a new baby had been born to gorilla parents 28-year-old Koga, and Sydney, who is turning 19 this month. A few weeks ago, the Zoo revealed that the baby is a boy and asked the community to vote between three possible names for the little guy. The winning name will be revealed during Saturday’s event. Sydney was born at The Buffalo Zoo in 1997, and is also the mother of five-year-old Amari.
A full schedule of APE-ril event activities follows:
- 11 a.m. – Crafts and Q&A session at the gorilla exhibit
- 12 p.m. – Announcement of the winning name for the baby gorilla
- 12:20 p.m. – Birthday treats for Sydney
- 1 p.m. – Crafts and keeper talk in the gorilla exhibit
- 2 p.m. - 3 p.m. – Crafts and Q&A session at the gorilla exhibit
Any visitor who brings an unwanted cell phone to the Zoo will receive $1 off admission. Recycling cell phones helps gorillas in the Congo by decreasing the demand for coltan mining.
For more information about Saturday’s event, call (716) 995-6133.